Thursday, May 7, 2009

Stop Getting Offended When I Yawn!

Let’s set up some scenarios:

A) I stayed up all night for work or school-related reasons, and am meeting up with you for brunch the next day.

B) I’ve been really sick and am having a hard time sleeping, but am still planning on going to dinner after work with you that day.

C) You are a boring person and I find you the least bit interesting, but am still going to meet up for drinks with you after work.

Now let’s say I yawned while each one of these scenarios took place. You mean to tell me, that I am a rude and obnoxious person for having offended you while you speak to me?

To me, and maybe I’m wrong, yawning is a natural function that is due to lack of proper sleep or maybe a tiring day--NOT by having a conversation with someone.

Maybe HOW you yawn can be perceived as rude—perhaps you are intentionally mocking the idea that you are bored, but the ACT of yawning should not be considered offensive!


Notice how I put scenario C in there. Even if you bore me, it doesn’t mean you are responsible for my yawns, it just means you’re plain boring (Don’t ask me why I’m still hanging out with you).

But, heck, I yawn when I’m out dancing, does that mean I’m bored?
NO.

Does that mean you’re a terrible dancer?
NO.

Does it mean I’m tired?
YES.

So stop getting offended.

No comments: