Sunday, June 27, 2010

Dear Brookie!



Dear Brookie,
Helppp meee! I feel like I'm stuck at a job I don't like in a field I'm not sure I want to stay in. I'm 25 and thought about going back to school but I don't even know what I'd go back for. Am I stuck?
-Sam, NYC

Sarcastic Answer:
I don't know, are you trapped in a closet? Did you lock yourself out of your car? If so, no you're not. Call AAA. They work wonders. Ohh, you meant your job? Then yes. You are stuck. Bummer, ain't it? It's ok. You're real job will be in 20 years from now when you preach to your kids 'don't make the same mistake I did.' And reminding them daily is a job in itself.

Real Answer:
Of course you're not stuck. Obviously the economy makes our options a little difficult and with that said, be thankful you have a job. You shouldn't feel like you are stuck in a career you don't want. You're too young and aren't filled with experience in a niche field that pigeonholds you. Even then, you could still change careers. The real issue is not knowing what you WANT to do.

It's so easy to find a reason to complain about a particular job. You have to dig deep and see what your actually good at (do well with numbers?) and your interests (love baseball?). Pursue a job in stats. Do you enjoy working in an office? Being around kids? Figure these things out and work from there.

Going back to school is an option, but don't do it just to further delay a decision about your career. You're young enough where you can start over and find the right path. Don't ever feel like you're stuck unless your car broke down on the highway. And look. Thanks to AAA you're not even stuck. So take the time you need to know for sure what you want and good luck!

Want to Ask Brookie a Question? All you have to do is email brookehschneider@gmail.com and her assistants will sort through the fan mail and select the best question for next week!

No comments: