Friday, March 13, 2009

Top 3 of The Week: Why I Get a Kick Out of Family Functions

1) Can You Get Past The Small Talk?

I know I certainly struggle with that. It’s almost as if I don’t know what to say to my family when I see them. Anything more than “yeah things are good or, work is work or, (ENTER NAME) and I are doing well” seems to be superfluous. But sometimes you don’t even get to talk to everyone at an outing, and if you do, that one small talk convo seems to suffice. In reality, family functions should operate like speed dating. Just sit everyone down, and give us a minute to talk. You update me on your life cousin, Michael, and I’ll update you on mine. Then we’ll get up and move on to the next. And bam, we hit everyone there and can call it a day.


2) You’re Stuck Sitting With Your Same Family Members

Have you ever gone to a wedding or bar mitzvah or engagement party, and find yourself sitting next to your aunt, sibling or grandma? Is that necessary when these are the people I see all the time anyway? At my wedding, I’m going to randomly pick names out of a hat, and mix things up a bit. My great aunt is going to sit next to my husband’s college friend. My niece is going to sit next to my husband’s father. Talk about getting through some small talk.


3) The Family Gossip

This is the part that I just (wrongfully) love. If someone’s a no-show to an outing, we want to know why. And if they don’t show, we talk smack about them while they’re not there. If someone got pregnant unexpectedly or if this cousin isn’t talking to that cousin, or if that uncle had an affair, we ALL want to talk about it. Ok maybe not ALL of us, but the family drama certainly calls for great entertainment. At least for the gossipers like myself!

No comments: