Saturday, March 7, 2009

Top 3 of the Week: Reasons Why I Don’t Like Going to the Movies


1) It isn’t a great social outing
Scenario A: I go see a movie, buy my ticket, sit in my seat, and for an hour and a half, sit in silence as I watch the giant screen in the dark.

Scenario B: I go see a movie with a friend, buy my ticket, sit in my seat, and for an hour and a half, sit in silence as I watch the giant screen in the dark.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t see a difference between the two, except that I just have someone I know sitting next to me. And don’t even get me started on going on a date to the movies. How are you expected to get to know someone when you can’t even talk! Not a real social thing to do, don’t you think?

2) It’s expensive!
When you really think about it, the cost of seeing a movie is actually equivalent to buying a DVD of another movie (heck it might even be cheaper to just buy a DVD!). So why spend upward of $13 for a movie that might not even be entertaining? I will admit, the action-packed movies are great to see on a big screen, but if you just have patience, you can wait a few months and see it at a fraction of the cost when it comes to Netflix or Blockbuster, or HBO (if you’re me, your local library that has it for free!).

3) The selection is mostly crap!
Now that Oscar season is over, is it really worth heading to the theaters to check out movies like Hotel for Dogs or The Pink Panther 2? Sure, I will admit that there are some movies that are the talk of the nation, and if you miss seeing it, your bound to feel out of the loop at the water cooler conversations (Slumdog Millionaire anyone?). But more times than not, I’m not convinced that I must rush to see a film that will probably not be to my satisfaction.

So in a nutshell: I’m a tough critic who doesn’t like spending the dough on something that isn’t fun with other people around!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ur such a hater! at least tell people to still see all Focus Features movies, ok? hahah