Saturday, October 10, 2009

Top 3 of the Week: Why I I'm Not Sure If I Like Concerts


Now before you proceed, please note that I've been to plenty of great concerts. Green Day put on a stellar show, Adele is flawless live, and even N'Sync entertained back in my teeny bopper days. But because I have the following sentiments, it makes me wonder if I truly enjoy going to concerts like I should.


1) All I Want to Hear Is the Famous Songs
Ok, more times than not, if I splurge on a ticket for a concert, I have to enjoy about 60% of their songs. But regardless, at a venue, all I want to do is hear the famous tune that got me into the artist in the first place, which makes me think I'd have just as much enjoyment playing a song on repeat at home.


2) I Kind of Can't Wait For It to End
A lot of times, I find myself wondering how I'm going to avoid the chaos of leaving a concert, getting through a large crowd, or sitting through an hour of bumper-to-bumper traffic in a parking lot. And if I'm standing on my feet the whole time, well the one thing I can't wait for is to lie down in bed. And what if I'm so far in the back, that I can't even make out their faces on stage? Then I find myself watching the tv screen, thus losing the allure of seeing it live. I know..total Debbie Downer, right?


3) Do They Even Sing Good Live?
Sometimes, I really have to do research on an artist to see if I'm going to get my money's worth when I go to a concert. I can often tell on TV performances that an artist like Duffy (who I loved in concert) can sing great live, while someone like Katy Perry obviously gets some help in the studio. So if I'm not even getting a performance that sounds remotely close to their songs on the radio, then what's the point?

1 comment:

John said...

What's the point?
I'll tell you the point.

The record was made in a studio, with optimal conditions and tons of overdubs and remixed tracks.

Only truly talented artists can perform live just as well as they can in a studio. Artists like Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers make the songs better when they play a concert. They jam in between songs, play extended versions of songs you know, and slip in favorites from the album you'd never expect to hear.

That's the beauty of a concert.
That's the reason we sit in traffic.

To love a band is to love the whole package, every track on the album, and see as many shows as possible.