Saturday, August 28, 2010

Food for Thought: Cereal


To this day, I have no idea how I grew up eating cereal without milk. As soon as I tried it, the combination of the crunchy cereal and the cold milk created a meal I could now eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.

As a kid, we ate the sugary favorites like Cocoa Puffs, Fruity Pebbles, Lucky Charms and if you were really lucky, Cookie Crisps (my mother felt there was only so much sugar acceptable for breakfast, and a bowl of cookies was pushing it). Nowadays, it's all about eating healthy with fiber and antioxidants. So some might thing the fun of cereal is over. After all, half the fun was taking out all the marshmellows in the Lucky Charms. But there are 2 "adult" cereals I can't live without.

My recommendation? Smart Start and Special K Strawberry. And I don't just eat it, I devour it, averaging a box in less than a week, cleaing off the shelves at CVS and Walgreens like I'm on Supermarket Sweep.

I love this cereal so much, I could eat it any time of the day. But some people confuse my choice of cereal for dinner as laziness. If I had to milk a cow and bake the cereal myself, I'd still eat it. (Um, ok maybe not, as the thought of milking a cow makes me lose my appitite). But can't it be that I just love cereal? So kill me if I enjoy cereal all the time. No, don't. Then you'd be a cereal killer! Zing!

No comments: