Monday, August 2, 2010

Top 3 of the Week: Why Apartment Hunting is the Worst Experience Ever


1) Dealing with Brokers
Fee or no fee, dealing with brokers will make you go out of your mind. For starters, they all operate the same-- beautiful luxury building! Aka, it's a dump. Great view! Aka, it's on the 1st floor. What bothers me most though is that they get annoyed when you see apartments from other brokers. Sorry that I'm looking out for my best interest and what's available. And what IS available is all the same crap that you're all overlapping and showing me anyway.

2) The Signing Process
AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe that says it all. When do you take it? When do you keep looking? When do you give up and get frustrated you just take anything? I'm indecisive as is, and living with 3 other girls is a challenge for sure. (Try finding a 4-bedroom apartment. It ain't easy.) But it's inevitable that your going to have to sacrifice something, and probably wind up paying more than you want. But at what point do you give in?


3) Actually Finding What You're Looking For
Ok. Fine. I want to live in the Taj Mahal for a dollar. Ya got me. But trying to find an apartment on a tight budget, especially in New York City, ensures that I'm going to live in a shithole. But is it so hard to ask for a couple of amenities? It is, apparently. Unless I find that genuine broker who finds me that can't miss deal that has everything I want...but that sounds as realistic as a post like this!

No comments: