Monday, February 2, 2009

Facebook is My Drug


There once was a time where my daily online routine was checking my email and the latest headlines on top news sites. Now, my routine is still the same, but the headlines have changed.


The top news stories in my life are no longer the latest on the war in Iraq, or the predicted snowstorm coming, but rather how Joe Rosen was tagged in an album and Cheri Sanders wrote a new note. My online priorities have slightly shifted to what has become an addiction to the social networking site that is Facebook. And just like how I enjoy reading US Weekly over TIME Magazine or watching The Hills over The O’Rielly Factor, I can’t say I’m proud of my addiction to Facebook.


I’m pretty sure I’m not the only person whose life is dictated by Facebook. In fact, it was hard enough to even take the time out to write this blog, since I can’t help but to spend time on the site. The sad thing is, I don’t even know what I’m actually doing on there all that time. Constantly refreshing the page I keep open to see my friend (or should I say acquaintance, or should I say, someone who I met randomly at a bar, on the street, or never even met at all) post new photos from their weekend ski trip, letting me know they're attending “Brad’s Boozin Party” or joined the group “Mike Small for SA President!”


The funny part about Facebook, is not just the fact that I know what’s going on in people’s lives—but the lives of people I never thought I’d keep in touch with. Remember at your high school graduation, when you looked around and said to yourself, “wow these are people I might never know from again.” Well, little did we know back then. Who needs a high school reunion when all I have to do is search “Commack High School 2004” to find out what everyone’s been up to.


Like it or not, Facebook will continue to be a part of our lives, and if you’re like me, essentially take over your life (heck, my last job I actually created fan pages and uploaded photos for clients on Facebook). I know that every photo I take when I go out is Facebook potential, and every birthday I have from now on will be highlighted by how many wall posts I receive.


But the sad thing is that now, my routine has gone from not just checking emails, but hoping that those emails are from Facebook, only to then, be directed to the site that has become my drug.



No comments: