Friday, February 13, 2009

Top 3 of The Week: Three Holidays You Feel Pressured To Celebrate

1) Valentine’s Day:

What other day in the entire year would you ever consider spending money on a stuffed teddy bear? Valentine’s Day is just one day to remind us all that we are either single (gotta love the term “Single Awareness Day”) or in a relationship. It’s the time where pink and red is a must, and stores like Victoria Secret and Kay Jewelers see profits soar. This is one holiday that couldn’t be divided any more by the haves (a date, boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife) and the have nots (well, someone who is ALONE).



2) Halloween:

Note to self ladies: if a costume isn’t sexy enough, don’t even bother wearing one. Halloween used to be about knocking on your neighbors doors in hopes of getting the most candy before the sun sets. Now once the sun sets, its all about strutting your Sexy Cat costume, or your Sexy Cop costume, or your Sexy ______ costume. Guys, you can get away with putting a mask on your head and calling it a night, but for us girls, it’s about finding the perfect costume with the right amount of sex appeal. Trick or treat!



3) New Years Eve:

What do you mean you’re just staying home on New Years? It almost feels socially unacceptable not to do something big to ring in the New Year, like foolishly spending over $100 to get into a bar, or not getting piss-drunk at your friend’s house. When I was a kid, all I wanted to do was watch Dick and a ball drop (I probably should have phrased that better…). This year, going out felt like any other night—except for the ten seconds I turned to watch the TV at the bar (that I proudly spent all of $10 to get into) and o jeez—look at that, a new year.



1 comment:

KLA said...

Oh Brooke, I am just learning this blog thing. I am only required to learn about blogging for my class, otherwise I have no interest, lol. You obviously are very into blogging.

Your Holiday celebration guide is interesting. I spent Valentine's day without my Valentine who is now my fiance and it is our first Vday as Fiance's. So it was fun being able to buy a Valentine's day card for "my fiance" but we will have to work on the schedule thing so we can celebrate. In response to Halloween, I object. I always go for the stupidest or funniest thing around, never sexy. I object sexy for Halloween, and you can remember from my Binghamton Halloween nights. I like more childish costumes. Then New Years, wow I am old. I celebrated again without my fiance b/c he worked but instead with 2 other couples, lol. So I was the odd man out, and we all just played games and drank a little at home. It was really nice but not as big are New Years can or should be.

HAHA, so I just thought I'd respond. You are too funny with all this stuff on your blog.