Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"I was young. I was stupid. I was naive." -A-Roid


You know how you look at an old picture of yourself and say “what the hell was I thinking wearing those yellow pants or spiking my hair like that?”, only to realize the picture was taken only a few years ago.

A-Rod’s lame excuses of “all the cool kids were doing it” and “I was too young to realize what was going on” aren’t going to cut it when you were by far the coolest kid who was old enough to know better.

Whether his reputation is tarnished remains to be seen, but the poor guy (ok, not poor, not poor at all) was probably the least liked player in all of sports with his cocky attitude and fat paycheck. Now, he’s A-Fraud, too.

Before, I used to say, that I don’t care what he does off the field, as long as he performs on it. But now every time he performs on the field, I can’t help but wonder if his talent that we all thought was natural and god-given is a bit tainted. A year from now when it is discovered that he perhaps used steroids before or after the time he admitted to, is he going to be interviewed again and claim that he was "young, stupid and naive" for not admitting to it now? Hmm...

This does teach me the lesson though, that anytime anyone has a problem with my questionable past (my YouTube videos certainly qualify), I’m going to quote the great A-Rod and say the exact phrase. “I was young. I was stupid. I was naive.” Time will tell if people will buy it or not.

No comments: