Monday, September 21, 2009

Top 3 of the Week: New TV Shows to Watch This Season


1) Glee
FOX took a chance by trying to capture an audience in the spring when it pulled a non-traditional move by premiering just one episode in anticipation of the fall season. Well I'd say it worked. There is nothing traditional about Glee, a show that operates like a musical, featuring about 4 song and dance segments throughout an episode. While it may seem a little amateur in its content (I can already tell from the student who admitted he's gay that each episode will have a Full House-like life lesson), Glee is written well and makes you want to root for the little glee club that could.


2) Melrose Place
I feel like I'm back in 6th grade, watching 90210 before Melrose Place. But my loyalty has taken me back to this series, and after 2 episodes, I do see potential. (Except from Ashley Simpson, who probably should have taken acting lessons before she moved to Melrose Place.) But Katie Cassidy, who plays the new Heather Locklear, gives the show some zest and reminds me of the crazy and entertaining original primetime soap opera was years ago.



3) The Jay Leno Show
NBC is definitely taking a chance by bumping up its late night show to primetime, but I actually think it's a smart risk. Sure, the ratings will fluctuate nightly depending on alternate programming, but the majority of the country doesn't go to sleep after 12am. So when you're looking for laughs, look no further than Jay Leno at 10pm. Critics panned the show for being too similiar to his old show, but who cares! When nothing is on at 10pm on a night that I want to watch TV, I'll be sure to be watching Jay Leno.

No comments: