Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Calculators: A Blessing & A Curse!


There was a time in my life, where I was able to do basic math.
7 x 6 = 42.
8 x 9 = 72.

Now, if I'm presented a problem, I immediately draw a blank, and grab the nearest calculator to verify that I'm correct. Luckily, a calculator can be found in a moments notice, as I'm either by my phone or
computer the majority of the day. But the sad part isn't that technology is forever attached to my hip, the sad part is that something that should easily be done on my own is no longer possible.


Growing up, we were trained not to use calculators until roughly about 6th grade. Then all hell broke loose. I can't even go to a store and calculate what 25% off of an item is. "Ohh..there's a price check? That'll work," I say as I yet again allow technology to calculate it for me. How about figuring out what to tip a waiter? Well luckily our phone has that feature for us.

Thankfully, my job doesn't require quick mathematics on the spot, but I'm still ashamed that I can't do most basic math without the help of a calculator--which is been a blessing and a curse, all in one.

1 comment:

Siddhesh Kabe said...

Ok great...

but calculator literally rots ur brain totally ain't it???

I mean come 2 think of it...go on a country side and u feel ashamed wen d store offers u a great deal and u r not sure if its good, great or worse!!!

Thank God I never learned to use a calculator till my college!!!