Sunday, November 29, 2009

Top 3 of the Week: Why a Jew Like Me Loves Christmas Songs

So yes, after we have now stuffed down turkey, and Black Friday has come and gone, we are officially in the start of the holiday season, which means listening to the famous tunes we often hear this time of year. But just because I'm Jewish, doesn't mean I can't appreciate it!


1) Because They're ACTUALLY Good Songs
Yes, put aside the religious connotations (if there are any), and we're left with some pretty solid tunes. Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas" can be played year-round if you ask me, and other songs are just plain classics. And there are actually plenty of "Christmas" songs that are actually wintery songs--not just about Santa ("Let It Snow" and "It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year"). And for songs like "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Last Christmas," I'm not really concerned about the lyrics as I am about enjoying the beat of the song!



2) Have you seen our Hanukkah song selection?
If it weren't for Adam Sandler, we'd be left with the Dreidel Song, and that's it. While I think he's due for a new edition, his two versions remain the sole Hanukkah songs that make it to the radio. Now I know we make up about 2% of the country so I'm well aware equal treatment just isn't in the cards, but at least SOME type of selection wouldn't lead me to flip to Christmas songs to begin with if I didn't have to!


3) Because of What it Represents
I always love this time of year--after all, it's my birthday, Hanukkah, and New Year's all squeezed into the same month. So while radio stations continue to play Christmas-centric songs, it only reminds me that the holiday season is upon us. You know, the crazy shoppers at the stores, the lights on trees, the snow on the ground, and the presents we give and receive. So if I like to listen to some Christmas songs while I'm on the road or in my house, so be it. I still love potato ladkas and my chocolate gelt!

No comments: