Sunday, November 29, 2009

I Root for Every NY Team--Yes, It's Possible!



When I had an interview at MLB.com a few years back, I was asked the question: What team do you root for?" When I responded, "I'm an all-NY fan," the man rolled his eyes and shook his head. It was the first time I realized my battle with my rooting interests and working in sports was going to be a challenge.

To this day working at SNY, a NY sports TV network, I still get heat for being a fan of the Yankees and Mets, Giants and Jets, Knicks and Nets, and if I really cared enough about hockey, Rangers, Islanders and Devils.

But why is it that I can't root for all NY teams?

I'm proud of the area, and I'm not just a follower of these teams. Being a girl who says "I love all the locals" makes me sound like I'm the type of person that roots for UNC because I love the baby blue jerseys. I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to sports, and I follow most of the locals (like I said, if I REALLY cared, I'd follow hockey too).

So I know what you're thinking. What do you do when the Yanks play the Mets or the Knicks play the Nets? I root for the team that needs the win more. Who did I root for in the Subway Series in 2000? I rooted for 7 games.

In any other field, most people wouldn't mind my rooting interests, but because I work in sports, I take the heat. So sure, it's a battle I've dealt with all my life and will continue to deal with as I continue my profession in the sports field. But while most people feel compelled to just pick a side, I'm happy I have a total of 9 teams to cheer for, and I'm living proof that it can be done :)



No comments: