Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What I Like to Call: 'The Name Shame'


In 2nd grade, I met this girl named Lindsey*. (*Name has been changed so as not to offend the real name, Rachel..oops.) Lindsey was one of the most obnoxious and annoying girls I ever met. From that point on, every Rachel--I mean Lindsey--I met was automatically conditioned to be annoying. Oddly enough, most were. But it was that girl who I met in 2nd grade that essentially ruined the name.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had others play victim to what I'll call "The Name Shame."
Whether it's someone we dated who turned out to be a d-bag or bitch, let's face it. People have ruined names for us. So much so, that when I sit down with my husband one day when we discuss baby names, I'm going to use some serious veto power.

James? Nope.

Can't name our son that.
My ex-boyfriends name was James.
Sarah? Not happening.
I worked with this girl Sarah who stalked me outside the office.

It's a shame but you know the phrase: sometimes you have to create a name for yourself.

Ok, fine. That phrase has no relation to this specific scenario, but maybe the celebs have it right when they name their kids Apple (Gwyneth Paltrow), Bronx (Ashley Simpson), Sunday (Nicole Kidman), and Knox (Brangelina).

Maybe you have your own thoughts on certain names. Maybe from this point on, you will forever associate the name 'Brooke' with someone who's opinionated, sarcastic and maybe even annoying. But one things for sure with representations like Brooke Shields, Brooke Burke and Brooke Burns, I'm OK with my company.

Can you say the same for your name?

No comments: