Sunday, March 14, 2010

Top 3 of the Week: Why I Will Never Smoke Cigarettes


All the cool kids are doing it, right?
Guess I'll never be cool.



1) It Smells
Now besides the side effects of breathing in second-hand smoke, I can't handle the stench on my clothes or hair when I get back from a night out, and I certainly can't handle chatting with someone whose breathe stinks. And with that said, there's no way I can date someone who smokes either. Now I don't judge others for smoking, but I seriously question how anyone could be ok with that smell.


2) It Gets Expensive
So depending on your rate of inhaling, you could be spending a good chunk of your weekly paycheck on packs of cigarettes. (And a chunk of your time standing outside your office for your cigarette breaks, which to some, the excuse for a break is appealing in itself). Obviously, the addiction means we're not talking about a one-time purchase here. So figure out how much money is spent a year on cigarettes, you could go on a vacation with that money!


3) Oh, Yeah..it KILLS YOU.
OK, so let's refresh: you are paying to smell like and inhale smoke and for what? Positive health reasons? NO, no. Even if it was healthy, I don't think I'd find it worth it. But the fact that it actually KILLS YOU makes me really wonder. What is the appeal?!

3 comments:

Anna said...

everything kills you.

there are much worse smells to face in nyc.

the amount it costs for me to smoke is on par with seeing a movie per week in theatres. i rather smoke than sit through any of the latest $12 blockbusters.

it's enjoyable. i dont understand why it's so hard to fathom. i mean, obviously not everyone has the same likes - i.e. i find the smell of grilled flesh much more repulsive than the smell of a cigarette. everytime i pass by one of those gyro/kebab carts i want to vomit. or when my coworker breaks out some variation of chicken/beef leftovers in the office i have to deal with that lingering smell. ugh.

and i really don't buy the 'but meat is food!" argument. because in America, with the industry we have set up - it shouldn't even be compared to anything that anyone ever willingly ingests.

Brooke Schneider said...

thanks for the comment, Anna. Too each his own, and I see your side of the argument. I indulge in cheesecake sometimes and sure it can lead to heart disease. I don't see the appeal, but obviously there are people like you out there that do. I drink occasionally, and that can kill me at some point, so I get it, I just don't get cigarettes lol but enjoy it!

Anna said...

i have nothing more constructive to say besides, now i want cheesecake. :/