Tuesday, March 16, 2010

American Idol..more like American Idle


As you may remember from my post last year, (actually I hope u don't remember, I hope you have more important things filling your brain- but if you forgot here it is) I'm a loyal fan of American Idol. But this season is missing something. And I'm not even referring to Paula Abdul.



In fact, I barely even notice she's been gone. While Ellen hasn't been as funny as I expected (most of her critiques don't generate laughter) she actually gives some decent feedback. So much so that even Simon agrees with her. But I do think, too, that Kara has comfortably come into her own as a judge. So no, the absence of Paula isn't the problem.
It's the absent of talent.


Sure I still believe that when it's all said and done this seasons winner could rival any of the past title holders. And my money is on Big Mike for his feel- good story, fun personality and the pipes to match it all. But what's missing this year is the depth of talent and the varied singers present. There's no wannabe rocker like Chris Daughtry or Allison Iraheta. There's no future pop star written all over them like Jordin Sparks or Kelly Clarkson. At this rate they're going to run out of Jason Mraz and Duffy songs to cover!

But I wonder, if the early favorite Crystal Bowersox wins, would her songs be mainstream enough for the radio? I think not. (See past winners Taylor Hicks and Ruben Studdard). Even Mike might have trouble getting airtime on the Top 40 stations.


Every year we wonder if the talent is still out there. And if you've watched this season, you've gotten a sense whether the judges really believe it's there either after constantly criticizing contestants for choosing the wrong song, not making it their own, making it too much of their own or just plain not singing well. But there is still talent on American Idol this season. It's next season that's going to suffer when the true talent, Simon Cowell, leaves!

No comments: