Monday, July 5, 2010

Food for Thought: Lettuce


Firstly, I want to say I love salad. And contrary to a male's belief, yes, it is enough food for dinner. But I have a lot of beef with salad, or should I say have a lot of lettuce with salad. But some people don't. Read on for clarification.


It was actually brought to my attention years ago
when my brother ordered a dish at a restaurant that came with a salad to start. But my brother doesn't eat "salad," he eats tomatoes, cucumbers and olives. So instead of a typical salad, he asked for that.

What resulted was utter confusion from the waitress. "So wait, you just want tomatoes, cucumbers and olives?" Yes. But according to our salad standards, that doesn't qualify as "salad" because it doesn't contain lettuce.


Sure there are plenty of types of salads. But when where talking about using typical salad ingredients, you know, like carrots, cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, and DON'T include lettuce, well then it becomes an entirely different salad.

If you just cut up lettuce with carrots, you'd call it a salad. If you cut up celery with carrots, you'd call it veggies (or a horse's dinner). Somehow along the way, lettuce equates to a salad and without it, people like that waitress are just left confused.


So next time you eat a salad with lettuce, lett-uce remind you of the consequences.

Yes. I'm that corny.

Next food for thought?

Corn.

Now THAT'S corny.

No comments: