Saturday, June 20, 2009

There’s No Fun in Gift Registries


A few weeks ago I went to my cousin’s engagement party. While most family and friends departed at the end, as immediate family members, we had the privilege of staying and watching my cousin and his fiancé open gifts. I like to think of us as VIPs, but I try not to brag.

The happy couple registered at Bed Bath & Beyond. For those of you who don’t know, a gift registry is set up where the happy couple will tour the store and scan the items they wish to receive, essentially guaranteeing them the items they desire. However, in the process, takes all the fun away from opening presents.

Oh, the SmartPower Blender?
Wow! I didn’t expect this!

The Grenache wine set?
I did NOT see that coming!



What I always like, is the awkward looks you give when you open a present that you have no interest in receiving. The fake smile and the “Oh, gee, this is…great…thanks…” is often priceless to watch.

The only element of surprise with gift registries comes from seeing what your family and friends set as a dollar value for you. You picked out every item. You know what they cost.

Only the $25 table clothes?
Gee, thanks Uncle Michael.

The $200 plate set?
Wow, cousin Sue, that was very generous.


I’m sure I’m going to use a gift registry when my day comes, but while I’m going to enjoy the gifts in the end, the fun of opening gifts just won’t be the same.

No comments: